[Remops] Encrypting Remailer filesystem

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Mon May 27 19:39:51 BST 2019

Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 5/27/19 9:46 AM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > However, what I like to do, as understood Christian did, is like to
> > encrypt the pool, so that third parties can not see what messages
> > resides in an exit's pool, so that they don't know in advance what
> > destination the messages have, if that makes any sense.
>
> Are you referring to the remailer's pool or the outbound MTA's mail
> queue?

I am refereing to the pool, or the location where the remailer
and it's files, including the pool, resides.

> I would have thought that the former was encrypted.  [1]  But the
> latter can't really be encrypted.  It can live on an encrypted file
> system, but all programs that access it will do so via an unencrypted
> method.
>
> [1] I'm not sure if Mixmaster / YAMN decrypt messages as they receive
> them or as they are processing them just before sending them
> outbound. What state is a message that is sitting in an exit's pool
> while it waits it's turn to go out?

IIRC as soon as a Remailer receives it's files it decrypts them so
that the packets are then encrypted for the next hop and for an
exit the files are decrypted in the pool (if they are final) prior
leaving the pool. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Regards
Stefan