[Remops] Encrypting Remailer filesystem

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue May 28 05:48:09 BST 2019

On 5/27/19 12:39 PM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> I am refereing to the pool, or the location where the remailer and
> it's files, including the pool, resides.

ACK

> IIRC as soon as a Remailer receives it's files it decrypts them so
> that the packets are then encrypted for the next hop and for an exit
> the files are decrypted in the pool (if they are final) prior leaving
> the pool. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Thank you for the clarification Stefan.

I don't see a good way on Linux (or any other OS that I'm aware of) to
have messages be unencrypted for Mixmaster, yet inaccessible (as if
encrypted) beyond standard OS file system access control mechanisms.

This makes me wonder if this might not be a security related bug in
Mixmaster and that perhaps it shouldn't permanently decrypt messages
until it's ready to send them out.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die