[Remops] What do we need to do to get to large keys?

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Sun May 4 00:52:06 BST 2014

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 05:58:06PM -0500, Cypher wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> Over the last few weeks, I've posted a few times with development projects
> that I thought would benefit the remailer community. Each time, it was
> pointed out that, largely, the code for x was already written. In
> particular, I'm referring to large key support in Mixmamster.
>
> As I understand it, the new Mixmaster supports large keys up to 4096 and
> there are a few 'experimental' remailers running the new code. So why are we
> /all/ not running the new code? For the remailers that run it, it seems to
> work. What needs to be the tipping point for everyone (under 50 remailers)
> to move over to large key code?
>
> I realize that this would, of course, bring the need to regenerate keys,
> etc, but is that such a huge deal?
>
> Can someone clue me in?

Hi Cypher,

The issue is that there is no Windows binary compiled using the
mixmaster-3.0.2x versions.  Until that's successfully compiled, nobody
can test the Windows based Mixmaster clients against the new code.

Until then, the community is stuck with 1024 bit remailers and
also pingers that publish only those remailers.  Once the authors of
Windows software, Richard Christman (QSL) and Christian Danner (Omnimix)
state they have tested it against the new version, we can properly roll
out the large key support.

Steve