[Remops] What do we need to do to get to large keys?

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Thu May 8 16:31:07 BST 2014

On 3 May 2014 19:52, Steve Crook <steve at mixmin.net> wrote:
> The issue is that there is no Windows binary compiled using the
> mixmaster-3.0.2x versions.  Until that's successfully compiled, nobody
> can test the Windows based Mixmaster clients against the new code.
>
> Until then, the community is stuck with 1024 bit remailers and
> also pingers that publish only those remailers.  Once the authors of
> Windows software, Richard Christman (QSL) and Christian Danner (Omnimix)
> state they have tested it against the new version, we can properly roll
> out the large key support.

All right, I gave it a shot.  I got bad news and good news.

Bad: The windows solution files assume very specific file layouts, and
thus specific versions, of zlib, pdcurses, pcre.  They need to be
updated to use zlib 1.2.8 other up to date versions, so you're not
stuck with the old versions. I had to search around for random
versions of pdcurses until I found one that worked. Good: Openssl,
which is treated differently, is not affected thus, I used 1.0.1g just
fine.

Bad: VS .Net 2003 Professional is wildly out of date, and not free.
Good: Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows Desktop (which is free)
seems to work fine.

Good: My changes are in github:
https://github.com/tomrittervg/mixmaster/commit/5849bc5e4524975eb7747c17fa345f0f13efd43c
Bad: the diff isn't super clean because the project files went from
.vcproj to .vcxproj and didn't register as a file move.

Bad: It was a pain in the neck trying to figure out how to build the
thing.  Good: I made an Amazon EC2 AMI, so you can futz with it.  The
ID is ami-5049aa38* and stuff is in c:\build

Bad: I spent several hours getting this all set up, finally got it to
compile and produce a .exe... and it crashes.  I didn't have time to
debug why. (No good news here)

-tom

* Is this a trusted build environment? No. Don't yell at me that it's
not, I know. Don't treat it as such.  Treat it as a windows
environment you can futz around in to debug stuff, and then copy those
changes out to a trusted environment.