[Remops] Help--builing mixmaster from source

mix mix at tormail.org
Wed Jun 13 20:42:45 BST 2012

>Just to clarify:-
>You now have a manually created user called 'echolot' with a homedir
> of
>/home/echolot.

yes

>You've downloaded the echolot program from
>http://echolot.alioth.debian.org/echolot-2.1.8.tar.gz
>into /home/echolot.  Untar'd it which will create
>/home/echolot/echolot-2.1.8

yes

>Configured /home/echolot/echolot-2.1.8/pingd.conf

not yet but will do

> I think some sym links are needed somwehere??
>.Maybe.  If you want to publish your echolot stats via http then
> you'll
>need a. http daemon running.  This might require some symlinks to your
>stats files depending on how you choose to configure it.

no http daemon-so no echolot?
can I point echolot in DNS   ie slug.pinger
also point the http to a remote place ie hosting place?
not local machine

> how does echolot find the profgrams installed with apt-get
>They are libraries, your Perl system should know how to find them.

> also
>
>   'mixmaster'        => '/home/echolot/Mix/mixmaster',
>
> how does echolot find home/mix/Mix/mixmaster?
>I suggest you compile another copy of mixmaster into /home/echolot/Mix
>and point your pinger at that.  It's quite possible to do everything
>with a single instance of Mixmaster but it's easier to secure your
>remailer if only your mix user has access to its homedir.

with the same answers to the questions asked by mixmaster?

> also a little
>
> please steve send your dns as my site is hosted in diffrebt place to
> server
> mx cname a record etc
>Not sure why my DNS records would help you.  Do you have an MX (mail
>server) running on the same machine as Mixmaster?  Can it send/receive
>email across the Internet?

I have dns elasewhere
have mx record pointing to my ip
have A record pointing to ip