[Remops] Help--builing mixmaster from source

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Wed Jun 13 16:18:53 BST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 07:36:51PM +0000, mix wrote:

> delete purge mixmaster echolot and users
>
> Create user echolot
>
> apt-get install libgnupg-interface-perl libhtml-template-perl
>
> chown -R echolot.echolot echolot-2.1.8

Just to clarify:-
You now have a manually created user called 'echolot' with a homedir of
/home/echolot.

You've downloaded the echolot program from
http://echolot.alioth.debian.org/echolot-2.1.8.tar.gz
into /home/echolot.  Untar'd it which will create
/home/echolot/echolot-2.1.8

Configured /home/echolot/echolot-2.1.8/pingd.conf

> I think some sym links are needed somwehere??
Maybe.  If you want to publish your echolot stats via http then you'll
need an http daemon running.  This might require some symlinks to your
stats files depending on how you choose to configure it.

> how does echolot find the profgrams installed with apt-get
They are libraries, your Perl system should know how to find them.

> also
>
>   'mixmaster'        => '/home/echolot/Mix/mixmaster',
>
> how does echolot find home/mix/Mix/mixmaster?
I suggest you compile another copy of mixmaster into /home/echolot/Mix
and point your pinger at that.  It's quite possible to do everything
with a single instance of Mixmaster but it's easier to secure your
remailer if only your mix user has access to its homedir.

> also a little
>
> please steve send your dns as my site is hosted in diffrebt place to
> server
> mx cname a record etc
Not sure why my DNS records would help you.  Do you have an MX (mail
server) running on the same machine as Mixmaster?  Can it send/receive
email across the Internet?

> I found this english word !doddle!
>
> is running remailer like this doddle!
Running a remailer is a doddle once you know how to do it.  Until then,
it's not.  :)