[Remops] Remops Digest, Vol 24, Issue 4

eel bash eelbash at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 14:42:50 GMT 2008

> From: Bananasplit Admin <admin at bananasplit.info>
>
> Yup, seeing the same deferrals here too.  This probably
> explains the
> strange 50% Uptime pinger results for Eelbash.

No, it turned out that was due to my software setting the 'from' name of the returned ping to the 'from' name of the pinger that sent it. Several of the pingers are running servers which consider that invalid and drop the returning message - I was told this by one of the remops - sorry, I don't recall who it was. The stats began to creep up once I made sure that the 'from' header was different.

I still don't know why it only affected 50 percent of the messages.

> Eelbash Admin - You could resolve this by running the mail
> exchanger
> locally on the remailer server.  If you want any help
> getting this up
> and running, I'm sure myself and others can assist.
> Besides resolving
> the quota issue, it would enable you to extend your recent
> instructions
> to cover another remailer configuration.

Thanks. I don't plan on trying (if the one I'm using tanks, I'll call it quits), but it's clear even to me that that is the best way of doing it.

The weakness of doing it that way is that setting up the pop server is extremely complex, with documentation over the head of the average guy (this one, anyway). I'm thinking of the simplest one I could find, something called Dovecot.

The only way it will become useful to the average guy is if the experts are willing to put a lot of time into creating simple, clear instructions and answering newbie questions. Understandably, they have other priorities.

The only alternative I can think of, is to get a pop3 service (unlimited messages) and run your own smtp server - that, at least, is fairly easy to do.

If you make sure that no headers from the pop service remain in the outgoing messages, my impression, from talking to a couple of these people, is that they won't object to it being used for a remailer. I'm talking about an exit remailer - a middleman should be bulletproof anyway.