[Remops] Encrypting Remailer filesystem

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Sun May 26 18:49:11 BST 2019

Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 5/26/19 10:11 AM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
> > I remember that long time ago Christian and Zax said that they have
> > encrypted their Remailer VPS fileysytem.
>
> Do you recall any details about their motivation behind doing so?
> Did they perceive a threat that prompted them to do so?  Or was it
> somewhere closer to because they can and the general consensus among
> some of encrypt everything that you can?

No, I only remember when law enforcement paid Christian a visit that
he told the a.p.a-s community that his file system was encrypted.

Zax once told us the required steps he used to do so.

A motivation in doing so was not mentioned. But I think it
does not hurt to do so.

> > Because I can no longer find the a.p.a-s thread I would appreciated
> > if someone can help me out and tell me / us the required steps.
>
> How long ago?  What sort of news server retention are we talking
> about needing?
>
> Is this by chance the thread?
>
> Link -
>   -
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.privacy.anon-server/encrypt$20file$20system$20zax|sort:date/alt.privacy.anon-server/it48k_ETKF4/GxJtSgCxxwgJ

I think it was another thread.

> Are you asking about the remailer that lives on a server, or the
> remailer client that lives on an end user system?

The Remailer Server.

> I encrypt parts of my VPS.  I ended up creating an encrypted drive &
> file system that I have to log in and unlock before I can mount it.
> I have multiple directories on it.  Then various other places in the
> VPS file system have sym-links pointing to those directories, i.e.:
> /etc/mail, /home, /etc/dns, etc.  That way my files are encrypted on
> the VPS.
>
> I did this to make it harder for someone to access them (via what
> ever methods, court order, strong arm, etc.) without a clone of the
> running VPS.  I did this in support of a move where I would no longer
> be able to have my mail server at my house for a while.

Thanks for the info! If you have detailed steps for doing that for
a Remailer I would appreciated it very much and also hope that it
can be done while the Remailer runs and that it is hopefully easy
to do.

Regards
Stefan