[Remops] Encrypting Remailer filesystem

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun May 26 18:35:53 BST 2019

On 5/26/19 10:11 AM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Stefan,

> I remember that long time ago Christian and Zax said that they have
> encrypted their Remailer VPS fileysytem.

Do you recall any details about their motivation behind doing so?  Did
they perceive a threat that prompted them to do so?  Or was it somewhere
closer to because they can and the general consensus among some of
encrypt everything that you can?

> Because I can no longer find the a.p.a-s thread I would appreciated
> if someone can help me out and tell me / us the required steps.

How long ago?  What sort of news server retention are we talking about
needing?

Is this by chance the thread?

Link -
  -
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.privacy.anon-server/encrypt$20file$20system$20zax|sort:date/alt.privacy.anon-server/it48k_ETKF4/GxJtSgCxxwgJ

Are you asking about the remailer that lives on a server, or the
remailer client that lives on an end user system?

I encrypt parts of my VPS.  I ended up creating an encrypted drive &
file system that I have to log in and unlock before I can mount it.  I
have multiple directories on it.  Then various other places in the VPS
file system have sym-links pointing to those directories, i.e.:
/etc/mail, /home, /etc/dns, etc.  That way my files are encrypted on the
VPS.

I did this to make it harder for someone to access them (via what ever
methods, court order, strong arm, etc.) without a clone of the running
VPS.  I did this in support of a move where I would no longer be able to
have my mail server at my house for a while.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die