[Remops] Oops! Small problem!

Richard Christman richard at quicksilvermail.net
Sat Oct 25 22:32:43 BST 2014

On 10/25/2014 1:47 PM, Richard Christman wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On 10/25/2014 4:30 AM, Steve Crook wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 03:47:27PM -0600,
>> richard at quicksilvermail.net wrote:
>>>
>>> I've discovered a bit of a problem.
>>>
>>> This is the default allpingers.txt URL:
>>> http://raw.githubusercontent.com/remops/allpingers/master/allpingers.txt

When I try to get allpingers with mixmaster it fails. When I try with
>>> Chrome browser the URL switches to _https:_. It appears this
>>> page is currently not available to non-SSL connections.
>
>> You're right Richard, it is only available via SSL.  I tested it
>>  with http and missed the redirection back to https.
>
>> I guess we have a few options:
>
>> 1) I schedule a download of allpingers from github and publish it
>>  on a non-SSL website.  This works but I don't like it much as it
>>  places a long-term dependency on another website.
>
>> 2) Change the URL in Mixmaster to a different host of allpingers.
>>  Potentially a good option but, once again, places a dependency
>> on somebody to continue maintaining/hosting it.
>
>> 3) Fix URLDownloadToFile() in Mixmaster to work with https. I'm
>> not sure why it doesn't, unless there's some setting in IE that's
>>  causing it to fail.  I've written the following patch that
>> might at least help identify the problem.  Unfortunately I don't
>> have any means to test it as I don't have a suitable development
>>  environment.  That's my excuse for any stupid errors in it.  :)
>
>> --- a/Src/menustats.c +++ b/Src/menustats.c @@ -41,10 +41,18 @@
>> int url_download(char *url, char *dest) { #ifdef WIN32 err =
>> URLDownloadToFile(NULL, url, dest, BINDF_GETNEWESTVERSION,
>> NULL);
>
>> -  if (err != S_OK) -    return -1; -  else +  if (err == S_OK) {
>>  return 0; +  } else if (err == E_OUTOFMEMORY) { +
>> errlog(ERRORMSG, "Insufficient memory downloading URL: %s", url)
>> + return -1; +  } else if (err == INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE) { +
>> errlog(ERRORMSG, "Invalid URL: %s", url) +    return -1; +  }
>> else { + errlog(ERRORMSG, "%s: URL download error: %d\n", url,
>> err) + return -1; +  } #else int i; {
>
> Ok, I tried your patch. Your code was good. Here's the error:
> Error: [173992]
> http://raw.githubusercontent.com/remops/allpingers/master/allpingers.txt:

URL download error: -2146697210

> How odd! Does this https URL download ok on linux? On Jeremy's
> 'compile mix 3.0.3e for linux' page he gives the user instructions
> on how they can use curl to get pages. In the linux portion of the
> function I see comments regarding CURL.
>
> I hope this helps, but the actual error number appears not
> helpful. I'll try anything you want.
>
> Richard

I forgot. I mentioned your code was good, which it was. Except you
forgot the ';' at the end of the 3 'errorlog(ERRORMSG' lines. I know
you would have caught this on first compile--like I did. Just wanted
to let you know so that flaw won't remain in the code.

Richard