[Remops] Oops! Small problem!

Richard Christman richard at quicksilvermail.net
Sat Oct 25 20:47:28 BST 2014

Hi Steve,

On 10/25/2014 4:30 AM, Steve Crook wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 03:47:27PM -0600,
> richard at quicksilvermail.net wrote:
>>
>> I've discovered a bit of a problem.
>>
>> This is the default allpingers.txt URL:
>> http://raw.githubusercontent.com/remops/allpingers/master/allpingers.txt

When I try to get allpingers with mixmaster it fails. When I try with
>> Chrome browser the URL switches to _https:_. It appears this
>> page is currently not available to non-SSL connections.
>
> You're right Richard, it is only available via SSL.  I tested it
> with http and missed the redirection back to https.
>
> I guess we have a few options:
>
> 1) I schedule a download of allpingers from github and publish it
> on a non-SSL website.  This works but I don't like it much as it
> places a long-term dependency on another website.
>
> 2) Change the URL in Mixmaster to a different host of allpingers.
> Potentially a good option but, once again, places a dependency on
> somebody to continue maintaining/hosting it.
>
> 3) Fix URLDownloadToFile() in Mixmaster to work with https. I'm
> not sure why it doesn't, unless there's some setting in IE that's
> causing it to fail.  I've written the following patch that might
> at least help identify the problem.  Unfortunately I don't have
> any means to test it as I don't have a suitable development
> environment.  That's my excuse for any stupid errors in it.  :)
>
> --- a/Src/menustats.c +++ b/Src/menustats.c @@ -41,10 +41,18 @@
> int url_download(char *url, char *dest) { #ifdef WIN32 err =
> URLDownloadToFile(NULL, url, dest, BINDF_GETNEWESTVERSION, NULL);
>
> -  if (err != S_OK) -    return -1; -  else +  if (err == S_OK) {
> return 0; +  } else if (err == E_OUTOFMEMORY) { + errlog(ERRORMSG,
> "Insufficient memory downloading URL: %s", url) + return -1; +  }
> else if (err == INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE) { + errlog(ERRORMSG,
> "Invalid URL: %s", url) +    return -1; +  } else { +
> errlog(ERRORMSG, "%s: URL download error: %d\n", url, err) + return
> -1; +  } #else int i; {

Ok, I tried your patch. Your code was good. Here's the error:
Error: [173992]
http://raw.githubusercontent.com/remops/allpingers/master/allpingers.txt:
URL download error: -2146697210

How odd! Does this https URL download ok on linux? On Jeremy's
'compile mix 3.0.3e for linux' page he gives the user instructions on
how they can use curl to get pages. In the linux portion of the
function I see comments regarding CURL.

I hope this helps, but the actual error number appears not helpful.
I'll try anything you want.

Richard