[Remops] need advice

lists at notatla.org.uk lists at notatla.org.uk
Fri Oct 10 02:20:13 BST 2014

 >  I don't think changing the jeremy pinger to https in the
 >  allpingers.txt file is a good idea. As Richard points out,
 >  this will make it unusable because mixmaster doesn't grok
 >  https.
 >
 >  jeremy pinger stats are available as plain http as well.
 >
 >  If people want to use the https version of jeremy stats,
 >  they will need to use e.g. curl as I suggested in my page
 >  on compiling mixmaster at:
 >
 >    http(s)://anemone.mooo.com/mixmaster.html.

That page describes commands like
  curl --cacert ./certs/anemone.pem https://anemone.mooo.com/stats/mlist.txt -o mlist.txt

It's not totally true mixmaster doesn't grok https.

mixmaster typically uses curl with http (not https)
as it doesn't assume the user has provided certs and
there is little use in https with no certs.

If you provided https URLs it should use them like this
    curl  https://anemone.mooo.com/stats/mlist.txt -o mlist.txt
which will be ok if you've added cert chains to the
defaults used by curl (in ~/.curlrc) and will break without certs.
I haven't tested this but it is deliberate that the input validation
checks 4 chars for "http" rather than 5 for "http:" so you can provide
https URLs if you want.

If curl isn't there mixmaster will fall back to wget.