[Remops] need advice

richard at quicksilvermail.net richard at quicksilvermail.net
Thu Oct 9 22:06:55 BST 2014

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I started this email 3 times yesterday
and encountered  confusion as to what the problems are and how to
explain succinctly. I'm only partly succesful in the latter.

Jeremy, I'm always very much enthused over any site providing https and
high reliability, but there is a problem.

1) I'm packaging up mixmaster for distribution by itself. The problem is
mixmaster doesn't support SSL (as far as I know). If jeremy is the
selected source Your https URLs will fail.

2) I'm also getting ready to release QSL with the new mixmaster. Https
URLs are fine and preferred with QSL.

Bergman's allpingers.txt has only 3 stats sources--fourohninesix,
jeremy, and mixmin4096. We can forget mixmin4096. It has only 6
remailers. Fourohninesix and jeremy both have 30 remailers. Both look
really good. I don't recall fourohninesix ever failing because the
server was down.

I'm assuming that it is wished that both QSL and Mix use the new 4k
remailers. As far as I can see, that means using bergman's
allpingers.txt. Both bergman and jeremy appear to have excellent
stats/keys.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT PROBLEM

I will include bergman's allpingers.txt (no jeremy SSL) with mixmasster.
I'm pretty sure that's what is desired by you guys. The problem is, if
the user unwittingly updates _allpingers.txt_, it will get the noreply
allpingers which was last updated 2009. At that point the original
bergman allpingers is lost. This is going to happen. I did it myself,
just playing around.

So here are my suggestions:

1) I include the current bergman allpingers.txt with mixmaster--no
jeremy SSL.
2) I change the default mixmaster allpingers from noreply to my site as
a backup.
3) Bergman changes jeremy's sources to https.
4) As for the default stats source in QSL, that would be jeremy w/SSL.
However, I would like to get bergman's feeling on sharing the spotlight
with jeremy :) Bergman has done a great job. He's even providing his own
generated mix.tls required by QSL. I'd like to keep him happy.

I'm open to any and all changes to this plan. I said I'd get these
programs out by today, but thinking over these problems has delayed me.
I'd rather address them. It will be a few more days.

I will assume that no response to this message is complete agreement
with the plan.

Still looking for input from Steve regarding his mix compiler warnings.
I can't move forward without it.

Thanks,

Richard