[Remops] mixmaster-3.0.2c

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Thu May 1 10:04:38 BST 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 02:25:47PM +0100, lists at notatla.org.uk wrote:
> > Does your branch of Mixmaster have a public repository?  It would make
> > it easier for 3rd parties to follow the development process.
>
> Howzat?     https://github.com/merkinmuffley/mixmaster4096
>
> And don't forget to look at today's changes!

Hi,

Thanks very much for that, it makes life much easier.  Nice security
patch too!

I've linked to your repository and cherry-picked the updates so we
maintain a complete history of the changes to Mixmaster.  If anyone
wants to review the updates, they can see the differences between
commits going back several years.

https://github.com/crooks/mixmaster

Next, I'll apply your updates to my banana4k remailer!

On the subject of remailer updates, I'm wondering how we as a community
are going to take this forward.  I don't think all remailers can simply
upgrade as that would leave clients (especially those on Windows) with a
shrinking pool of remailers with 1024 bit keys.

I don't think there's any issue though with having pingers that list all
remailers, of any version.  The use of these pingers would be specific
for clients running mixmaster >= 3.0.2.  Currently I have a pinger
(http://www.mixmin.net/echolot/) that lists only 3.0.2 nodes but I think
it's safe to add all known remailers to this.  What do you think?

The other step on the road to significant take-up is to get a Windows
binary compiled.  This is a nasty task unless somebody already has an
environment suitable for dropping the new source into.  Is anyone on the
list in a position to do that?

Steve