[Remops] Upgrade mixmaster network to the new keys

Bergman Admin bergmin at xcis.net
Wed Jul 30 19:28:56 BST 2014

On 30/07/14 10:14 AM, Jeremy Bentham Admin wrote:
> Now that we have a working mixmaster 3.0.2e binary for windows,
> it seems to me that the next appropriate step is to move as many
> remailers as possible to large keys. In fact, we should probably
> move _all_ remailers to large keys in order to provide the
> anonymity we promise as remailer operators.
>
> There are a couple of things that need to be accomplished in order
> to do this. First, all remops need to update to the 3.0.2e binary.
> Second, a timetable for replacing all keys with larger versions
> needs to be established.
>
> While compiling the new mixmaster binary is straightforward (I've
> posted the steps at https://anemone.mooo.com/mixmaster.html),
> some remops are more comfortable installing mixmaster via the
> Debian or Ubuntu package management system. Thus, we need to
> contact the package maintainer to update the package with the
> new mixmaster binary. I will volunteer to do this. I'm not sure
> what is involved with other linux distributions - does anyone
> use another distribution that we need to worry about?
>
> As far as a timetable goes, I would propose the following straw
> man:
>
> 15-Aug-2014: All remops convert to the new mixmaster binary
>              by this date
>
> 22-Aug-2014: Expire old 1k mixmaster keys on this date and
>              generate new large keys (2k, 3k, or 4k)
>
> 29-Aug-2014: Old mixmaster keys disappear and the network
>              runs exclusively on large key nodes
>
> This schedule will need to be coordinated with the publishers of
> the various windows clients. We know it is straightforward for
> QSL - how about Omnimix or others?
>
> Please let your thoughts be known.

Bergman is onboard. I'm running 3.0.2e and will be changing to large key
this weekend.

May I suggest you send this callout to all remops via email as well,
since those not reading this list need to be informed too.

--
Bergman Remailer Admin 0x770251F2
Fingerprint: 8124 C17B 7FD9 1738 066F 4E29 4407 A967 7702 51F2