[Remops] Upgrade mixmaster network to the new keys

Jeremy Bentham Admin jeremyadmin at anemone.mooo.com
Wed Jul 30 15:14:36 BST 2014

Now that we have a working mixmaster 3.0.2e binary for windows,
it seems to me that the next appropriate step is to move as many
remailers as possible to large keys. In fact, we should probably
move _all_ remailers to large keys in order to provide the
anonymity we promise as remailer operators.

There are a couple of things that need to be accomplished in order
to do this. First, all remops need to update to the 3.0.2e binary.
Second, a timetable for replacing all keys with larger versions
needs to be established.

While compiling the new mixmaster binary is straightforward (I've
posted the steps at https://anemone.mooo.com/mixmaster.html),
some remops are more comfortable installing mixmaster via the
Debian or Ubuntu package management system. Thus, we need to
contact the package maintainer to update the package with the
new mixmaster binary. I will volunteer to do this. I'm not sure
what is involved with other linux distributions - does anyone
use another distribution that we need to worry about?

As far as a timetable goes, I would propose the following straw
man:

15-Aug-2014: All remops convert to the new mixmaster binary
              by this date

22-Aug-2014: Expire old 1k mixmaster keys on this date and
              generate new large keys (2k, 3k, or 4k)

29-Aug-2014: Old mixmaster keys disappear and the network
              runs exclusively on large key nodes

This schedule will need to be coordinated with the publishers of
the various windows clients. We know it is straightforward for
QSL - how about Omnimix or others?

Please let your thoughts be known.

--
Jeremy Bentham Remailer Admin
Key fingerprint = D7DE B0DF E6F9 9256 A070  B841 1942 840B 8743 B6B5