[Remops] key size migration

Breaka.Net Admin admin at breaka.net
Thu Feb 20 05:22:57 GMT 2014

On February 19, 2014 04:12:41 PM admin at breaka.net wrote:
> On Wednesday - February 19, 2014 10:18:35 PM you wrote:
> > > I probably won't move to the larger key size until a new mixmaster
> > > package
> > > is released for Ubuntu/Debian. I haven't been able to compile the new
> > > version on Ubuntu and really don't have time right now to try and fix
> > > it.
> >
> > I haven't compiled it on Ubuntu/Debian but if I do I might make a package.
> >
> > You haven't posted what snags you found either.  Good bug reports are the
> > first step toward fixes.
>
> Sorry. I hadn't got around to capturing the "snags" or spending any time on
> it. As I said, I haven't had time to play with it.
>
> I believe the problem is simply with the OpenSSL and ncurses installs --
> probably not compiled with the right libraries or support as they are simply
> packages from apt.
>
> Here is the result of running the install script:
>
> breaka at srv1:~/mixmaster-3.0.2b$ ./Install
> Mixmaster directory? [/home/breaka/Mix]
> Creating directory /home/breaka/Mix
> Do you want to set up a remailer? [y] y
>
> You can either compile your secret passphrase into the binary
> or you can set it in your config file. Note that the former does not
> really increase security as the passphrase can still be discovered by
> running something like `strings mixmaster'.
>
> Most users should answer `n' to this question:
>
> Do you want to compile the passphrase into the binary? [n]
> Please enter a passphrase for your remailer (it will be
> stored in mix.cfg in clear).
> ronin
> Looking for libz.a...
> Found at /usr/lib/libz.so.
> Looking for libpcre.a...
> Found at /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.
> Looking for libcrypto.a...
> Found at /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.
> Warning: Can't find OpenSSL version number!
> Continue anyway? [y] y
> ./Install: line 756: dc: command not found
> Warning: This version:  of OpenSSL is not recognized.
> Continue anyway? [y] y
> Does this version of OpenSSL contain AES support?
> If unsure of the answer, say `n' [n] y
> Looking for libncurses.a...
> Not found.
> Do you want to use Mixmaster's menu-based user interface? [y] y
> Please install ncurses now. It is available from
> http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/ncurses.tar.gz
>
> I don't believe this is really a "bug" but more a matter of getting things
> installed to support Mixmaster being compiled.
>
> -ken

Quick note: I used apt-get to install libncurses5-dev package and the Install
script completed successfully. It still doesn't recognize OpenSSL  or its
capabilities but it will complete.

I'm going to uninstall and see if I can figure out what I need to do to get it
to recognize OpenSSL without breaking anything else.

-ken