[Remops] key size migration

admin at breaka.net admin at breaka.net
Wed Feb 19 23:12:41 GMT 2014

On Wednesday - February 19, 2014 10:18:35 PM you wrote:
> > I probably won't move to the larger key size until a new mixmaster package
> > is released for Ubuntu/Debian. I haven't been able to compile the new
> > version on Ubuntu and really don't have time right now to try and fix it.
>
> I haven't compiled it on Ubuntu/Debian but if I do I might make a package.
>
> You haven't posted what snags you found either.  Good bug reports are the
> first step toward fixes.

Sorry. I hadn't got around to capturing the "snags" or spending any time on
it. As I said, I haven't had time to play with it.

I believe the problem is simply with the OpenSSL and ncurses installs --
probably not compiled with the right libraries or support as they are simply
packages from apt.

Here is the result of running the install script:

breaka at srv1:~/mixmaster-3.0.2b$ ./Install
Mixmaster directory? [/home/breaka/Mix]
Creating directory /home/breaka/Mix
Do you want to set up a remailer? [y] y

You can either compile your secret passphrase into the binary
or you can set it in your config file. Note that the former does not
really increase security as the passphrase can still be discovered by
running something like `strings mixmaster'.

Most users should answer `n' to this question:

Do you want to compile the passphrase into the binary? [n]
Please enter a passphrase for your remailer (it will be
stored in mix.cfg in clear).
ronin
Looking for libz.a...
Found at /usr/lib/libz.so.
Looking for libpcre.a...
Found at /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.
Looking for libcrypto.a...
Found at /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.
Warning: Can't find OpenSSL version number!
Continue anyway? [y] y
./Install: line 756: dc: command not found
Warning: This version:  of OpenSSL is not recognized.
Continue anyway? [y] y
Does this version of OpenSSL contain AES support?
If unsure of the answer, say `n' [n] y
Looking for libncurses.a...
Not found.
Do you want to use Mixmaster's menu-based user interface? [y] y
Please install ncurses now. It is available from
http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/ncurses.tar.gz

I don't believe this is really a "bug" but more a matter of getting things
installed to support Mixmaster being compiled.

-ken