[Remops] (no subject)

lists at notatla.org.uk lists at notatla.org.uk
Sun Aug 24 21:11:12 BST 2014

>  http://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/000527.html
>
>  > There are some aspects of this I either don't like, or perhaps don't
>  > understand.  I'd appreciate your thoughts.
>  >
>  > Why use RSA to encrypt anything more than the session key?  All the new
>  > fields could go in the Encrypted header or maybe, for backwards
>  > compatibility, in a second encrypted header.  I don't think it's good
>  > practice to use RSA to encrypt anything beyond the session key.
>
>  I don't think it is either.  You shouldn't concat a bunch of stuff
>  together and then RSA encrypt it - encrypt one thing and then
>  symmetrically encrypt the rest.

Putting this inside the RSA encryption saves space.  The
RSA-encrypted block has the same size as the RSA key whether
or not it contains more than the 3DES key.  All parts encrypted
are either random or random-looking.

What I'd prefer is to dump RSA padding and do as in Cryptography
Engineering section 12.6 but that's probably a suggestion for
new incompatible work.