[Remops] mixmaster's 1024-bit RSA is getting old

Lance Cottrell loki at obscura.com
Thu Oct 31 18:33:43 GMT 2013

Back in the mid 1990’s I wrote, but never got working, a Mixmaster server mode.

It authenticated connections using the key hash of the next Mixmaster node.
Then, after getting the next node’s public key, the two nodes would execute a DH key exchange for forward security.

The nice thing about this was that any given node did not need to know anything about the next node a priori. The receiving node does not care about authenticating the sending node at all.

This might be worth revisiting. Any node would first make an attempt to deliver messages using the server mode before dropping back to SMTP delivery for compatibility.

	-Lance