[Remops] mixmaster's 1024-bit RSA is getting old

lists at notatla.org.uk lists at notatla.org.uk
Wed Oct 30 00:16:49 GMT 2013

Lance Cottrell <loki obscura.com> writes:

> In practice, no one uses more than a few hops for real
> messages. I suspect that 5 is the realistic upper limit to
> ensure reasonable delivery time and reliability.  I really
> went over the top in using 20 header blocks.

Good thing too provided the cost was acceptable.  If you'd
used 6 hops then halving it would get 3.

> Roll out will be a key. One does not want client software that
> only has one or two servers through which it could route,
> nor would one want to be one of only a few few users of the
> new key size, since that would be easily tracked as well.

Ease of deployment is why I've arranged my code as I have.  Remailers
and clients don't need to update at the same time and anyone with the
new client remains able to use all the remailers.

You can always pick a 1024 remailer as a first hop if you don't want
to be recognised as a user of the new software (assuming you downloaded
it undetected).