[Remops] nymserv -- skipping emails

Breaka.net Admin admin at breaka.net
Wed Sep 19 06:04:17 BST 2012

On Monday, September 17, 2012 10:20:41 AM Steve Crook wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 07:18:51PM -0600, Breaka.net Admin wrote:
> > 2012-09-16 18:55:39 INFO Beginning mailbox processing
> > 2012-09-16 18:55:39 WARNING Unable to ascertain a recipient for this
> > message. End of message was reached without finding a recipient or a
> > blank line after the headers.
> >
> > The above lines are from nymserv.log. Pretty much self-explanatory --
> > nymserv is skipping all emails with the same error.
> >
> > I have been sending nymcfg messages with QSLite but even hand-rolled
> > messages get the same result.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> The Nymserver looks for X-Original-To headers in the incoming message.
> If it finds one, it then checks the email address in that header to see
> if it belongs to one of the domains the Nymserver processes.  If it
> reaches the end of the headers without finding a recipient, you get that
> error.
>
> I'm guessing that when you're testing, the messages aren't being
> delivered through an MTA and therefore don't have that header.

OK. Turns out that Exim 4 does not use X-Original-To, it uses Envelope-To.

Requires a simple entry into system_filter.exim to add  the X-Original-To
header to the incoming emails.

I tested an email with a manually added header and that's definitely the
problem.

Just sent some tests so I should know in the morning if its working. This
should also be a test of the peering arrangement for sending to
alt.anonymous.messages as well.

Report tomorrow!

-ken

--
Breaka.net Anonymous Remailer
Mixmaster remailer [at] breaka [dot] net