[Remops] Help--builing mixmaster from source

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Mon Jun 11 09:29:51 BST 2012

Hi Gottfrid,

The first thing you want to do is create a system account for Mixmaster.
For this example I'll assume you choose a username of 'mix' and a
homedir of '/home/mix'.  Switch to this user before performing all the
following steps.

Test that your mix user can send and receive email.  You mentioned that
you're using Mutt.  That's perfect for these tests.  You will also need
to understand if your user's email is held in mbox or maildir format.

Next, copy the Mixmaster source into a directory owned by your mix
user.  E.g. /home/mix/src/mixmaster-3.1a2/

Now switch to the directory you created with your source in and run
./Install.  You will be prompted to answer some questions about how you
want Mixmaster installed.  I'd suggest you stick with the default
location which should be ~/Mix.  Many of the other questions are
specific to how you want to configure your Remailer.

If you receive errors during the previous step, it's likely that you're
missing dependencies.  You will probably have to install a few packages
(or compile other source) to fulfil these.

Mixmaster installation is now complete.  Before you can use it, you'll
need a source for stats.  Longer term you'll probably want to run your
own Pinger but for testing, you can just download them from one of the
other pingers.  With these in place you should be able to test Mixmaster
as a client and then progress to configuring it as a remailer.

Steve