[Remops] echolot - procmail recipe question

Breaka.Net Remailer Admin admin at breaka.net
Wed Jun 6 21:36:37 BST 2012

On 12-06-06 12:44 AM, Marco Calamari wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 15:29 -0600, Breaka.Net Remailer Admin wrote:
>> In the echolot README files, it suggests a very simple procmail recipe
>> like the following:
>>
>> [rc.echolot]
>> :0
>>         $HOME/echolot/mail/
>> [/rc.echolot]
>>

> You may want also to skip echolot and pipe to
>  mixmaster directly, or throw away any mail that
>  exceed a certain size; this block an easy way an
>  attacker can use to  DoS you remailer.

After going through the process of following various tips and howtos on
the web, plus suggestions from this list, it actually turns out my
current configuration doesn't really require procmail so I have largely
eliminated it. I am currently testing a Directadmin forwarder that seems
to have eliminated the need for procmail completely. Which is very nice,
the simpler the configuration the happier I am.

I am currently implementing a variety of security tweaks and other
settings to reduce the chance of DoS attacks. In some respects, not a
lot I can do about DoS but I can guard against other exploits and am
attempting to do so.

What is really lacking right now is some kind of remailer howto site
that gives examples of various configurations. I may include this in the
breaka.net website when I get to putting stuff there.

-ken