[Remops] builing mixmaster from source

mix mix at tormail.org
Fri Jun 1 19:56:18 BST 2012

On Thu, 31 May 2012 16:19:29 +0100, Steve Crook wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:52:38AM +0000, mix wrote:
>>
>> I am going to install mixmaster-3.1a1.tar.gz
> Hi Gottfrid,
> That version should be alright.  Where are you getting it from?

Seems I did not get it

see attached
its not attached tormail is not that kind

# mkdir -m 755 /etc/mixmaster
# adduser --home /etc/mixmaster --shell /bin/bash mix
# chown mix.mix /etc/mixmaster
and
# cd /path/to/mixmaster-3.1a2
# tar zxvf mixmaster-3.1a2
# chown -R mix.mix mixmaster-3.1a2
# su - mix
mix> cd /path/to/mixmaster/mixmaster
mix> ./Install
mixmaster extracted directory is in /etc

here  what i have

root at slug:~# su - mix
mix at slug:~$ ls
mix at slug:~$ ls -la
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  2 mix  mix  4096 Jun  1 07:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 71 root root 4096 Jun  1 14:14 ..
-rw-------  1 mix  mix   156 Jun  1 14:13 .bash_history
mix at slug:~$ pwd
/etc/mixmaster
mix at slug:~$ cd /etc/mixmaster-3.1a2
mix at slug:/etc/mixmaster-3.1a2$ pwd
/etc/mixmaster-3.1a2
mix at slug:/etc/mixmaster-3.1a2$ ./Install
Mixmaster directory? [/etc/mixmaster/Mix]
Creating directory /etc/mixmaster/Mix
Do you want to set up a remailer? [y]

You can either compile your secret passphrase into the binary
or you can set it in your config file. Note that the former does not
really increase security as the passphrase can still be discovered by
running something like `strings mixmaster'.

Most users should answer `n' to this question:

Do you want to compile the passphrase into the binary? [n]
Please enter a passphrase for your remailer (it will be
stored in mix.cfg in clear).
rigvedant
Looking for libz.a...
Found at /usr/lib/libz.so.
Looking for libpcre.a...
Found at /usr/lib/libpcre.so.
Looking for libcrypto.a...
Found at /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.
Warning: This version: 9080FF of OpenSSL is untested.
Continue anyway? [y] y
Does this version of OpenSSL contain AES support?
If unsure of the answer, say `n' [n]
Looking for libncurses.a...
Found at /usr/lib/libncurses.so.
Checking for IDEA support...
./Install: 944: cannot create tmptst.c: Permission denied
gcc: tmptst.c: No such file or directory

   WARNING: Your version of OpenSSL has been configured without IDEA
support.
   If you continue, Mixmaster will be installed with reduced
functionality.
   This means (among other things) that Mixmaster will not create an RSA
   OpenPGP key (to avoid mail loss in the Type I system). You may want
   re-install OpenSSL before proceeding.

   This will not concern you if you only plan to run a type II remailer
or
   simply want a type II client.
Continue anyway? [y]
testing for setenv()...
./Install: 944: cannot create tmptst.c: Permission denied
gcc: tmptst.c: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files
done
Generating Makefile.
./Install: 944: cannot create Makefile: Permission denied
./Install: 944: cannot create Makefile: Permission denied
./Install: 944: cannot create Makefile: Permission denied
./Install: 944: cannot create Makefile: Permission denied
./Install: 944: cannot create Makefile: Permission denied
Compiling. Please wait.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
Error: The compilation failed. Please consult the documentation
(section
`Installation problems').
Remove the old Makefile? [y]
mix at slug:/etc/mixmaster-3.1a2$