[Remops] SPAM

Remailer Admin remailer-admin at remailer.paranoici.org
Wed Aug 1 14:10:00 BST 2012

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 12:06:43PM +0100, Steve Crook wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:50:01PM -0600, Breaka.net Admin wrote:
> > Recognizing, of course, that email going through a remailer is anonymized and
> > filtering capability is limited ... how do remailer operators deal with SPAM
> > being sent through the network? Or, is it just something we need to live with?
> > I would prefer to avoid wasting bandwidth etc. on SPAM.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Personally I don't do any spam checking.  Most of the traffic passing
> through the remailer is encrypted to other remailers.  The processing
> overhead of checking it is pointless.

I confirm, you just need some good configuration for the MTA,
i.e. reject clients in spamlists, and so on.
and if you have resources, maybe greylist could help you rejecting
spam messages your remailer address will receive.

> If you run an exit node, I guess there might be some justification for
> checking outbound mail to non-remailer addresses.  I'd probably wait
> until somebody complains about it as I doubt there's much spam using
> Remailers.  There are much better solutions for bulk-mailing.

yes, but for unknown reasons, I've noticed some spam going out
from paranoia in the past.
Anyway, is not a big problem, I haven't received a single complaint
about spam.

but if you want to avoid wasting bandwidth,
a good solution for exit nodes is nilsimsa:
http://ixazon.dynip.com/~cmeclax/nilsimsa.html
it needs some tweaks initially, and some time to check for false positive,
but it works quite well.