[Remops] SPAM

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Wed Aug 1 12:06:43 BST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:50:01PM -0600, Breaka.net Admin wrote:
> Recognizing, of course, that email going through a remailer is anonymized and
> filtering capability is limited ... how do remailer operators deal with SPAM
> being sent through the network? Or, is it just something we need to live with?
> I would prefer to avoid wasting bandwidth etc. on SPAM.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi Ken,

Personally I don't do any spam checking.  Most of the traffic passing
through the remailer is encrypted to other remailers.  The processing
overhead of checking it is pointless.

If you run an exit node, I guess there might be some justification for
checking outbound mail to non-remailer addresses.  I'd probably wait
until somebody complains about it as I doubt there's much spam using
Remailers.  There are much better solutions for bulk-mailing.