[Remops] Mixmaster

Marco A. Calamari marcoc1 at dada.it
Fri Jan 13 10:01:12 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I installed Pboxmix Mixmaster remailer from Debian binary package
 on Debian Sarge. I've done that previously from source tarball
 with full success.

Pboxmix cannot go in production due to two different problem:
the first one being unable to generate the RSA key,
the second one being unable to be listed in most of
 Echolot pingers

Here the facts.

1)
I read the IDEA policy outlined in 2002 on debian-legal maillist.
I loaded and enabled gpg-idea for the "mixmaster" user.
During the -G key generation phase I obtain this messages

mixmaster at ordmantell:~/.gnupg$ mixmaster -G
Mixmaster 3.0b2
Notice: Generating RSA key.
Notice: Generating OpenPGP DSA key.
Notice: Generating OpenPGP ElGamal key.

If I understand, they said the RSA/IDEA key was
 generated, but there is only one DSA key in pgpkey
 file.

2)
In addition, all new echolot pinger doesn't list the
 remailer (that is now in testing), giving the following
 pinger errors.

Jan 11 05:15:02 [INFO] mixmaster at pboxmix.winstonsmith.info; type=mix;
key=a12cb8c74e61a7bda6106bd91801a572 has no assigned filehandle for out
pings (key has expired, or not available yet).
Jan 11 05:15:02 [INFO] mixmaster at pboxmix.winstonsmith.info; type=mix;
key=a12cb8c74e61a7bda6106bd91801a572 has no assigned filehandle for done
pings (key has expired, or not available yet).
Jan 11 05:15:03 [INFO] mixmaster at pboxmix.winstonsmith.info;
type=cpunk-dsa; key=20E497DA9B3DABB6 has no assigned filehandle for out
pings (key has expired, or not available yet).
Jan 11 05:15:03 [INFO] mixmaster at pboxmix.winstonsmith.info;
type=cpunk-dsa; key=20E497DA9B3DABB6 has no assigned filehandle for done
pings (key has expired, or not available yet).

The remailer (pboxmix) started to received pinger traffic
 2400+ msg/day and is already listed by the following non-echolot
 or old-echolot pingers

ath
austria
bikiki
dingo

I suppose that this last fact is possibly triggered by a quirk in
 the remailer-conf reply that pboxmix prodice; it is a "ghost"
 cp remailer at the end of the cp remailer list. Here an excerpt

0xF206F024      "zerofree <remailer at zerofreedom.homeip.net>"
0x00000000      "^B <u>"

SUPPORTED MIXMASTER (TYPE II) REMAILERS
amigo anon at remailer.org.uk 216f818fcc473c77d770600a76ec9449 2:3.0b2 MCNm
2005-10-22 2006-11-16

The ghost remailer sometimes change when refreshing statistics.

I suspect some echolot quirk triggered by the mixmaster-update
 scropt of the mixmaster Debian binary distribution
 I used (mixmaster 3.0b2-1), but I found no evidence of this.

Can you give me some hint ? The facts have know explaination ?
They are really connected each other ?

Thanks a lot.

Ciao.    Marco

--

+--------------- http://www.winstonsmith.info ---------------+
| il Progetto Winston Smith: scolleghiamo il Grande Fratello |