[Remops] Attn Middleman remailers

Senshi-Admin admin at senshi.homeip.net
Sun Feb 5 18:46:24 GMT 2006

Hi!

On 5 Feb 2006 at 18:10, Bananasplit Admin wrote:
> Always good to have more pingers.  :)
> When you advertise the url for it, I'll add it to the meta-stats.

You didn't add my pinger yet ...

On 29 Jan 2006 at 2:55, Senshi-Admin wrote:
> 1. would you like to add my pingers stats too?
> http://senshiweb.webhop.net [/mlist2.txt]
>
> 2. why don't you supply similar metastats for Type1 CPunk?

> For non-echolot pingers, I think you need to whitelist the actual
> remailer address.  I'm sure one of the Reliable remops can confirm or
> deny this.

Not necessarily. While Reliable uses the remailer's address by default
(which should be whitelisted anyway), you can specify a different
address for the pinger:

> [Ping Response Address]
> This optional setting may be used to specify an email address where
> ping responses will be received if different from your remailer address
> (such as a forwarding account).  If this setting is blank the remailer
> address is used.

IMO, whitelisting pingers is a bad idea. While the latency is corrected
this way, the reliability is falsified. Think of wrong keys of
randhopped-to remailers or other circumstances that lead to loss of mail.
This is not noticed when pingers are whitelisted. Even more, with the
improved latency, the remailer could be used in more chains with the
possibility to lose more messages.

Senshi-Admin