[Remops] Status of the Mixmaster project

Len Sassaman rabbi at abditum.com
Sat Aug 13 12:12:48 BST 2005

Greetings, fellow remops,

It has been over a year since the Mixmaster development team has released
a version of Mixmaster. This indicates to me that Mixmaster is reaching
maturity, and there is little left to do on this particular program. As we
near the release of Mixmaster 3.0, which is in all likelihood the final
major release of Mixmaster based on the 2.9/3.0 codebase, I'd like to take
this time to ask if there are any outstanding bugs or operator annoyances
that you'd like us to address.

(Not to worry -- Mixmaster 3.0 will continue to be maintained in the form
of bugfixes and periodic updates for the foreseeable future. Most of our
development efforts post Mixmaster 3.0 will be focused on improving the
Type III remailer network and Mixminion compatible applications, however.
The eventual goal is to phase out the Type II remailers in favor of Type
III, though this will be a careful process.)

I can't promise to make more than minor feature enhancements to Mixmaster
3.0 at this point, as we're already in the beta stages of 3.0, but I would
like to ensure that all outstanding bugs have been addressed. We haven't
received any reports of new bugs since the last beta version of 3.0 was
released, but in case there's something we've missed, or something you've
been meaning to report, now is your chance.

Thanks again, all of you, for work as remops.

--Len.