[Remops] [ANNOUNCE] new YAMN remailer "austria"

SEC3 pinger-admin at sec3.net
Tue Jan 5 17:04:12 GMT 2021

On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 09:55:02AM -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 1/5/21 8:24 AM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > Hi Grant, not sure what you mean ... The Remailer Networks do not need
> > to do this, because it works without such lists.
> >
> > What you suggest is that all Remops should run a relaying service like
> > inwtx, you and sec3 has and I had in the past.
>
> I thought that general consensus was that all remailers (specifically their
> SMTP server, not the remailer itself) should, if possible, allow relaying to
> other remailers.  E.g. if you connect to tncmm, you can send (relay) a
> message to inwtx without passing through the tncmm remailer (mixmaster or
> yamn).
>
> Is this functionality not a general consensus?
>
> I know that I see messages from people complaining if I don't add a new
> remailer to tncmm quickly enough.

Grant, this old thread from APA-S may be useful reading.

<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.privacy.anon-server/c/hsFgpkFCfdk/m/MtJPBiqk6e4J>

It explains what the relay service is for and how Zax maintains
his relay. Zax offers in that thread a Bash script which he uses
to automate the process of keeping a fresh list of allowed
remailers for his MTA's relay access file.

I know you use Sendmail and Zax uses Postfix, but you might
still find his strategy something worth knowing about.

Of course, at the time that Zax wrote that script he wasn't
allowing for YAMN remailers. So, current YAMN remailers would
need to be added to your access list as well, and the Bash
script would need to be altered accordingly.

All current Mixmaster remailers can be scraped from here:
https://www.mixmin.net/echolot/clist.txt

(clist.txt = combined list; mix and cpunk remailers both)

All current YAMN remailers can be scraped from here:
https://www.cloaked.pw/yamn/mlist2.txt

That should be all the addresses that you need to allow through
your relay. Pinger addresses are not added since they don't ever
need to relay through your server. They are delivering to your
remailer as the final recipient.

Understand that not all remailers offer this "sort-of open relay"
service. At first only Zax offered it. And then a few other
remops offered it too. It is not obligatory for *all* remailers
to run a relay. I think that's what Stefan was suggesting to
you. It is your choice to offer it or not. If it is becoming too
troublesome you can simply stop offering it. There are plenty of
others to take up the slack.

--
SEC3

Contact information and PGP key at <https://sec3.net>