[Remops] eurovibes is moving to a new home

SEC3 pinger-admin at sec3.net
Tue May 19 19:23:02 BST 2020

On Sat May 2, at 22:34:45 BST 2020, Benedikt Spranger wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> eurovibes was unbeloved for a plenty of reasons - mostly personal ones.
>
> But the times are changing.
> While prettify the new home, I found some spare cycles to revisit the
> mixmaster source code.
>
> After converting the old debian SVN repo towards git, I gathered the
> spread patches I found and revisit my OpenSSL 1.1 patch. While at it, I
> converted the pieces to fit into the git-buildpackage scheme.
>
> Everything compiles now, but the non C-source part need to be
> revisited. ===>>> ALPHA!
>
> The whole shebang can be found at
>     https://github.com/eurovibes/mixmaster
>
> Regards
>     Bene

Hi Benedikt. SEC3 here.

First of all, I very much miss the Eurovibes remailer! And the
remailer community in APA-S misses it also. Please bring it back
soon.

It's encouraging that you want to breathe some new life into
Mixmaster 3.0 but you should be aware that someone else before
you has already updated it quite a bit. There is this code by
MerkinMuffley's, aka Elvis. It is not new code. More than half
of the current mixmaster remailers are running Elvis's version
of Mixmaster, colloquially known as Mixmaster4096.

https://github.com/merkinmuffley/mixmaster4096
http://www.zen19351.zen.co.uk/mixmaster31/

Sadly even that version (Mixmaster 3.1-1) by Elvis is starting
to show its age, but at least it compiles whereas Mixmaster 3.0
does not, in my experience.

Mixmaster 3.1-1 is designed to compile on Debian 8. But with some
tweeks around the Openssl version it can be fooled into compiling
on Debian 9.

In the year 2020 Openssl v1.1.x is the one big stumbling block when it
comes to compiling Mixmaster code.

I am not a coder myself. But I am slowly getting better at reading code.
I encourage you to look at Elvis' code and hopefully it will save you
a lot of time and effort and you will not have to "re-invent the wheel."

--
SEC3

Contact information at <https://sec3.net>
I am also on Keybase <https://keybase.io/sec3>