[Remops] Oops! Small problem!

richard at quicksilvermail.net richard at quicksilvermail.net
Tue Oct 28 22:33:56 GMT 2014

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 20:59:35 -0500, you wrote:

> On 27 October 2014 20:31,  <richard at quicksilvermail.net> wrote:
> > My goal is to find a way to get windows to ignore the cert security
> > problem and get the page anyway.
>
> I don't know everything about the APIs you are able to use or not, but
> perhaps  WinHttpOpenRequest[0]  preceded by a call to
> WinHttpSetOption(WINHTTP_OPTION_SECURITY_FLAGS,
> SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_UNKNOWN_CA) [1].
>
> And then followed by a call to
> WinHttpQueryOption(WINHTTP_OPTION_SECURITY_CERTIFICATE_STRUCT) as in
> [3] - to not ignore the certificate entirely, but require it to be the
> expected self-signed cert.  This pins the certificate and does not
> allow anyone to man in the middle the pinger download to e.g. provide
> false keys to decrypt the message as it is sent.
>
> -tom
>
> [0] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384099(v=vs.85).aspx
> [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384114(v=vs.85).aspx
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384066(v=vs.85).aspx
> [2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384103(v=vs.85).aspx
> [3] https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/ea97b57f-972a-44b9-8bb0-ccff7e895cf6/winhttp-server-certificate-validation?forum=windowssdk

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much. This looks like valuable info, I'll keep it handy.

Unfortunately, mixmaster doesn't handle the download using that API. It
simply calls URLDownloadFile. That handles the whole job, and I not
enthused by replacing that function. What you're suggesting looks
significantly more complex and this isn't a mixmaster test release.

On the other hand. URLDownloadToFile has an optional callback function
that I can provide. I see (in the callback) there are a couple options
relating to security. I'm going to see what I can do with this. If that
doesn't pan out, I don't expect to pursue it further.

Sorry to all for the slow progress. Family obligations require most of
my time these days.

Thanks again,

Richard