[Remops] Oops! Small problem!

richard at quicksilvermail.net richard at quicksilvermail.net
Tue Oct 28 01:31:35 GMT 2014

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 23:33:26 +0100, you wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 04:10:36PM -0600, richard at quicksilvermail.net wrote:
> >I tried all the stats sites that have SSL capability and got these
> >results:
> >
> >jeremySSL  error -2146697211
> >austria    error -2146697191
> >paranoic   error -2146697191
> >deuxpi     ok
> >
> >Interesting difference in results. It turns out that jeremySSL, austria,
> >and paranoic all have self-signed SSL certificates. When testing with
> >chrome browser, I was warned it could not verify the sites certs.
> >
> >On the other hand, deuxpi, did not throw a warning at all and it
> >successfully got the stats.
> >
> >It looks like the problem is the security warning on jeremySSL, austria,
> >and paranoic.
>
> Try putting the line:
>
> cacert=3D/path/to/certificate/from/server/cert.pem
>
> in the .curlrc file, where cert.pem is the self-signed certificate from
> jeremySSL/austria/paranoici. I'm not sure where the .curlrc file is on
> Windows.
>
> This works for linux.

Sorry to say, there is no curl in windows. There is probably a version
of curl available for windows but few users would have it.

My goal is to find a way to get windows to ignore the cert security
problem and get the page anyway. It doesn't look promising. I'll keep
looking--when I can find some time. I'll post again when I'm ready to
release mixmaster.

Have any of you with self-signed certs seen StartSSL? For $30 dollars a
year (actually $59.90 for 2 years. They are a good service. The charge
is for them to call you and verify your personal identity. They call
within a few minutes of your identity validation request. You end up on
the phone with Eddy for less than a minute. After that _you_ create all
the certs you need, including wildcard and unlimited domains (DNS alt
names). One snag, thunderbird still doesn't recognize them. Off hand, I
don't recall why. Microsoft has recognized them for a long time.

I know that spending money on services we provide must be kept to a
minimum. Ask my wife :) But considering the low cost at StartSSL, it was
a high priority.

Regards,

Richard