[Remops] Ping: Steve

Richard Christman richard at quicksilvermail.net
Sun Oct 19 22:57:29 BST 2014

On 10/19/2014 2:32 PM, Steve Crook wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:17:07PM -0600,
> richard at quicksilvermail.net wrote:
>>
>> I saw that you got out an update for your YAMN software. Can you
>>  remember when we both first arrived here? Man, you've come a
>> long way! Congradulations!
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I'm pleased with the way YAMN is coming along.  It's got a long
> way to go though before it's ready for prime-time.  I'm concerned
> that Go is statically compiled so I can't produce a DLL suitable
> for QS. This is a significant issue as one of my principle goals
> was to make it as near as possible to a drop-in replacement for
> Mixmaster.

Sounds very cool! The DLL you mention would be very nice. It would be
possible for QSL to pipe info back and forth with your exe, but it
would require quite a few changes to my interface with mixmaster and
I'm not sure I can get everything needed VIA the command line.

>> In my last post to you, I gave the info on things that need to
>> be fixed, but I forgot to tell you what my plan is. Sorry. It's
>> my intention to hold release of the windows binary until you
>> have time to fix the issues. Then I'll download the new software
>> from github and compile that for distribution.
>

> My apologies, I somehow missed your other points after fixing the
> error in AES_CTR.  I note Elvis has now applied my patch and also
> swapped around the declaration and function call.
>
> In terms of the KEYLEN issue, I believe we have a conflict between
> two github repositories.  In my repository
> (https://github.com/crooks/mixmaster4096) there is a patch to
> enable the operator to define KEYLEN.  This dictates what size
> keys will be auto-generated.  This hasn't been committed to
> Elvis's repository
> (https://github.com/merkinmuffley/mixmaster4096), I'm guessing
> because he would prefer to see all new keys generated at the larger
> keysize.

I still believe it necessary for KEYLEN to be DLLIMPORT and be in the
mixlib.def file. Otherwise, I don't think mix.exe and mixlib.dll will
be able to pass the KEYLEN back and forth. I'm pretty sure.

> I can see the logic of that and have no issues with him choosing
> not to pull my request.  It does though raise the question of
> which repository you (and others) should be compiling against.

Yes, knowing which is confusing. From here I'll use:
https://github.com/merkinmuffley/mixmaster4096

...if I have that right.

> In my opinion, at least at the current time, I'm very happy for
> Elvis's to be the default repository.  He has after all, taken
> Mixmaster to a new level and continues to refine it.  I'll make
> changes in my own repository but principally for the purpose of
> submitting patches and pull requests. Elvis can then decide if
> they should be included. Are you happy with that approach?
>
> On that basis, I'll now make a change to the ALLPINGERS and submit
> a pull request to Elvis.

Great!

Richard