[Remops] Oops! Small problem!

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Wed Nov 5 21:43:57 GMT 2014

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 01:22:33PM -0700, richard at quicksilvermail.net wrote:

> I agree completely. If URLDownloadToFile had worked as expected--
> ignoring the problem--I would be happy with that, but I think installing
> invalid certs on user's computers is a very, very bad idea. I'm glad
> we're on the same page here.
>
> Unfortunately, the user cannot decide to accept the certs since they get
> no chance to do that. But we have what we have. The problem is not
> windows and not mixmaster. The problem is invalid certificates and if
> anything is fixed, it should be that.
I think the user does have a chance to accept the certs but it involves
them visiting the URL from their IE browser and jumping through the
hoops of confirming a self-signed cert or adding a specific root
certificate to their store.

> It's a real break that mix CAN download allpingers.txt from github!
Yes, I think that's a huge improvement, from the perspective of https
and also a central copy that multiple people can maintain.  Thankfully
github has a fully verifiable certificate chain!

> BTW I'm using the latest 3.0.3a code and the only change I've made to
> the code is add 's' to http.
That's excellent news.  I'll send a pull request to Elvis so he can make
the change in his repository.

Steve