[Remops] Helping out.

Cypher cypher at cpunk.us
Sat Mar 22 20:16:12 GMT 2014

On 03/22/2014 01:48 PM, Bergman Admin wrote:
> On 22/03/14 08:07 AM, Mouse wrote:
>> Hello,
>
>> I've just recently learnt how to set up my own nyms using the
>> remailer system, and I would like to give something back to the
>> community. I was thinking that I could set up a remailer running
>> on a Raspberry Pi that isn't doing anything at the moment, but I
>> don't know where to start!
>
> I'm assuming your Raspberry PI is sitting in your home and your
> internet connection is through a residential ISP account? If this
> is your situation it is not ideal for running a remailer, IMO.
>
> It *can* be done, but you will run into a lot of obstacles. Your
> outbound port 25 will likely be blocked, just to mention one.

Not only that, but even if port 25 isn't blocked, there's a chance
that other ISP's have blocked mail from servers on your IP address as
they often block out residential IP blocks of other ISP since they
don't expect mail coming from them.

If you're on AT&T in the United States though, you're in luck. You can
call, they will unblock port 25 and, as it seems, nobody has done a
residential IP block on those IP's.

> Better to get yourself a server or virtual server hosted
> elsewhere. There are many low cost options available at
> www.lowendbox.com

Unless you're specifically looking to avoid US companies, I'd also
like to suggest DigitalOcean. They've got datacenters all over the
world, are rock solid, and pretty cheap. You can run a full remailer
on a $5 a month instance and still have 60% of your system resources
available. Also, if you go with them, hit me off list and I can get
you two months free with a code.  BTW, I am NOT associated with DO, I
just really like them.

Cypher

- --
Want to communicate with me privately?
Find my PGP public key here:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5BAEB5B2FA26826B

Fingerprint: 6728 40CE 35EE 0BF3 2E15 C7CC 5BAE B5B2 FA26 826B