[Remops] Why is 4096 bit Mixmaster consider 'experimental'?

steve at mixmin.net steve at mixmin.net
Fri Mar 21 15:31:37 GMT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 05:19:06PM -0500, Cypher wrote:
> > The 4096-bit mixmaster remailers run today by other people are
> > production if the operators consider them so.  But bear in mind
> > there may be few users as yet.
>
> Great to hear! So let me ask you this: would you be opposed to a small
> team using your code as the base for a new mixmaster project? We don't
> want to step on any toes here so we're being very cautious.

I think starting from scratch with something based on Sphinx[1] would be
a good option.  There's a reference implementation written in Python
but, despite significant Googling, I can't find it today.

I've also got a Work In Progress mix implementation that uses HTTP as an
inter-remailer transport[2].  This makes it easy to leverage the
enormous anonymity pool that is Tor.  It needs more work and better
documentation though.

[1] http://www.cypherpunks.ca/~iang/pubs/Sphinx_Oakland09.pdf
[2] https://github.com/crooks/mimix