[Remops] Why is 4096 bit Mixmaster consider 'experimental'?

lists at notatla.org.uk lists at notatla.org.uk
Thu Mar 20 22:15:57 GMT 2014

> I've seen talk of a mixmaster that supports 4096 bit keys but that
> discussion is always followed up with a warning that it's experimental
> and not for public consumption yet.

> Can anyone fill me in on /why/ it's considered experimental? What
> needs to be done in order to get it to a production quality?  Is there
> a link to the code somewhere?

That's a misapprehension.  The latest code at
    http://www.zen19351.zen.co.uk/mixmaster302/
is production quality.

The 2 specific test remailers I set up with it (carrots and coconuts)
are experimental (and existing only till November) because:
- they have a small pool size
- I live somewhere where a crazy law could be used to demand the keys.

The 4096-bit mixmaster remailers run today by other people are production
if the operators consider them so.  But bear in mind there may be few
users as yet.