[Remops] Key change predicament

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Wed Mar 5 11:06:51 GMT 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 09:16:41PM -0500, Bergman Admin wrote:

> I seem to have found myself in an unusual predicament after updating
> my remailer keys using mixmaster 3.0.2b.
>
> My newly generated mix key has an expiry date (Sept 1, 2014) which is
> more recent than the expiry date of my old mix key (expires Sept 28,
> 2014) generated with an older version of mixmaster.

Hi,

Is your new key a 1024bit key, or larger?

If it's larger, pingers (not running mix-3.0.2) will probably drop
it as they won't be able to encrypt messages using the new key (once you
advertise it).

Clients might still have your old key and there will be messages in the
system encrypted to it so deleting the old key isn't a good option.  I
think your best choice is to manually edit your secring.mix file and
change the expiry date on the old key to yesterday.  Mixmaster should
then advertise the new key while retaining the ability to decrypt old
messages.