[Remops] New Zax-style nymserver with forward secrecy

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Thu Aug 14 13:12:46 BST 2014

(Cross-Posting to messaging, context below)

I guess I missed this in May, but this is cool, thanks a lot for
working on it! I have the following, somewhat high-level thoughts:

 - Axolotl will not fully ratchet for months in many use cases, merely
derive new Message Keys from the Chain Key. This is because it's not
common for you to send configuration messages to the nymserv once it's
up and running well.  I don't think Axolotl was designed to be
primarily a one-way communication method, but I don't think it's
insecure in that situation either.
 - Unless one was doing something very unusual and scary[0] this
doesn't change the story from other methods - but this does now
require someone to maintain linkable state with their nym. They can't
carry that information around memorized.
 - How does it handle out of order or missing messages? Does it derive
message keys and cache them until it can decrypt? Does it store those
keys indefinitely?
 - A GUI with no pictures? :(

-tom

[0] like https://ritter.vg/blog-non_persistent_pgp.html