[Remops] Upgrade mixmaster network to the new keys

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Fri Aug 1 12:45:38 BST 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 04:14:36PM +0200, Jeremy Bentham Admin wrote:
> Now that we have a working mixmaster 3.0.2e binary for windows,
> it seems to me that the next appropriate step is to move as many
> remailers as possible to large keys. In fact, we should probably
> move _all_ remailers to large keys in order to provide the
> anonymity we promise as remailer operators.

Hi Jeremy,

I'd like to suggest that instead of asking Remops to migrate to larger
keys, that we ask them to run an additional, large key remailer.  While
we, as a community, are very aware of the features of Mixmaster-3.0.2,
there may be many users of Mixmaster that don't follow discussions in
a.p.a-s or the remops list.  There are also mixmaster packages in
stable Linux releases that won't be upgraded until the next stable OS
release is made.  This may take months.

Running parallel remailers is relatively simple and I think most
operators have the technical abilities to do so.  This approach gives an
extended period of support for users of mixmaster < 3.0.2 but also
increases the pool of large key remailers for other users.  We already
have pingers that provide support for old, new and mixed key sizes so no
issues there.

Steve