[Remops] [Mixmaster-devel] mixmaster's 1024-bit RSA is getting old

lists at notatla.org.uk lists at notatla.org.uk
Thu Oct 31 00:22:42 GMT 2013

Lance Cottrell <loki obscura.com>

> I like to avoid asking users to think too much.

> It would be ideal if there were some kind of timer or something, so it =
> could get widely deployed before starting to be used.

stage 1
We have to start with agreement on the change in key size.
Can everybody on these lists test and examine the new s/w and
either agree to use it in all mixmaster remailer installations
or else state their objections here?   By end November?
(If anyone runs a remailer on Windows I'd be interested in the
result of testing there as I haven't done any.)

stage 2
Remailers upgrade the s/w but do not publish large keys yet.
Then distribute the new s/w - from every site we can manage  that
currently has mixmaster s/w for download.  And run a publicity
campaign saying people need the new s/w ready for an upgrade in
key size coming soon.  Because of the anonymous user base this has to
be a broadcast on mailing lists, newsgroups, blogs and forums.
Publicity will include the error message shown by old s/w used with
large keys so that anyone who misses the upgrade and googles the
error message will catch on.
(Throughout December?)

Up to this point there's been no change in the formatting/crypto
behaviour outside of testing because no large keys are in use.

stage 3
At an agreed time all remailers generate 4096-bit keys and all the places
publishing keys make sure to distribute them.  Expiry of all 1024-bit keys
follows.
One week after new year?