[Remops] Dovecot?

Breaka.net Admin admin at breaka.net
Mon Aug 26 23:05:55 BST 2013

On August 26, 2013 10:37:40 AM Steve Crook wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 09:29:57PM -0400, Brian O'Connor wrote:
> > Does my future remailer need Dovecot?
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> The answer to that specific question is an absolute no.  Your remailer
> doesn't require dovecot.  Postfix, probably in combination with
> Procmail, provides everything you need to operate a remailer.
>
> You can also handle admin mail, either by forwarding it to your normal
> email account, or by installing a local Mail Agent, like Mutt.
>
> The only scenario where a remailer requires dovecot (for pop or imap) is
> when the remailer is remote to its mail exchanger.

I find it alot easier to access my admin email by IMAP/POP, personally. Then it
is available to me 24/7 via my laptop, my cell phone, my desktop and any other
device I may be working on.  IMAP is particularly useful so I don't have to
download email.

You don't have to use Dovecot but not everyone wants to read email in a
terminal session.

-ken

--
breaka.net