[Remops] Locally or remotely administered?

Brian O'Connor Kieslowski at diabpetition.org
Wed Aug 7 16:16:40 BST 2013

On 8/6/2013 7:34 AM, Steve Crook wrote:
>> The few that are willing seem slightly leery of my intentions and don't
>> give me a lot of confidence. They seem to interpret heavy MTA traffic as
>> "bulk email" and bulk email to them means spam. I can envision a time
>> when my remailer first goes live. The traffic would jump dramatically
>> and my hosting provider would react to it, likely shutting me down for
>> "spamming", "excessive cpu usage" or whatever reason they might choose.
> I use a company called Hetzner in Germany to host all my services.  On
> occasion they forward on abuse complaints and a list of actions I must
> take to address it.  These complaints have always related to postings on
> Usenet (I operate a mail2news gateway), not Mixmaster.

That's very encouraging to hear. Especially considering you operate an
exit remailer. A middleman would surely attract even less attention, as
long as I don't push too hard on the resource limits of my hosting package.

Thanks for your reply and your guidance.

I suppose I need to stop fretting and "take the plunge" into the lake. I
won't know how the water is until I jump in..