[Remops] zax nymserv error: sign+encrypt failed

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Fri Sep 21 14:19:00 BST 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 04:03:54PM -0600, Breaka.net Anonymous Remailer Administration wrote:

> >> OK. Adding the X-Original-To header by Exim system_filter works just fine.
> >> Nymserv begins processing the in-coming config message but faills with the
> >> following error:
> > In the next release I'll make the header choice configurable.  I
> > hardcoded X-Original-To because my MTA adds it.
Just tagged and released v0.2.  It contains this change.  To define the
header you want to check for recipients, in .nymservrc:-
[misc]
recipient_source = X-Original-To

> Using "--homedir=/home/breaka/nymserv/keyring" to generate and manage the
> keys. To be safe, I tried putting the keyrings in .gnupg to see if the
> nymserver was looking there but that made no difference.
If you do a:
gpg --homedir=/home/breaka/nymserv/keyring --list-keys <your_fingerprint>
Does it find and display the key? It should also work if you use <keyid>
instead of fingerprint but I prefer the longer version to avoid any
potential ambiguity.

> Also, double checked the fingerprint in the .nymservrc and it was correct. So
> was the keyring path.
>
> I am currently trying using the key ID instead of the fingerprint to see if
> that makes a difference.
If you download the new version, I've added some debug-level log
messages that might help you identify the issue.  You can get it from
here:
https://github.com/downloads/crooks/nymserv/nymserv-0.2.tar.gz
Or via the git repository if that's how you're currently obtaining the
code.  You can install it without any impact to your current config.

> 1. Nymserv uses *only* the keys and keyrings in nymserv/keyring. The ~/.gnupg
> is ignored completely.
Correct.

> 2. Nymserv compares the key ID or fingerprint to the secret keys in
> nymserv/keyring. In my case, there should only be one (1) secret keys in this
> keyring,
Also correct.

> Let you know what happens in my next test.
Thanks Ken.