[Remops] zax nymserv error: sign+encrypt failed

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Thu Sep 20 21:42:53 BST 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 02:14:05PM -0600, Breaka.net Anonymous Remailer Administration wrote:
> OK. Adding the X-Original-To header by Exim system_filter works just fine.
> Nymserv begins processing the in-coming config message but faills with the
> following error:
In the next release I'll make the header choice configurable.  I
hardcoded X-Original-To because my MTA adds it.

> 2012-09-20 13:17:55 DEBUG Signing and Encrypting message for
> 74B8301AE4F18D74A5E874B4176650376BC25290
> 2012-09-20 13:17:55 ERROR GnuPG returned an error whilst attempting to
> signcrypt a message.  The error was:
> gpg: no default secret key: secret key not available
> gpg: [stdin]: sign+encrypt failed: secret key not available
>
> I tried re-creating the GPG key and updating the fingerprint in .nymservrc but
> it continues to fail with the same error.
>
> I can see the secret key when I list the keys.
>
> Any ideas what's stopping it this time?

Probably because your secret key is on the wrong keyring.  By default
GnuPG will use ~/.gnupg as its path.  The nymserver's default is
~/nymserv/keyring.  You could export the key and reimport it to the
correct keyring or regenerate a new one in situ.  In either case you
probably want to use the 'gpg --homedir' option.

If you want to put the keyring in a different location, such as an
encrypted disk, you can use the following option in .nymservrc:-

[paths]
keyring: /encrypted_disk/nymserver/keyring