[Remops] My procmail log

Peter Palfrader peter at palfrader.org
Wed May 30 17:43:35 BST 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012, CDN Freelancer wrote:

> > I don't get why you use procmail in the first place, or why your
> > mixmaster user has a high UID and not a systerm user UID.
> >
> > Why did you install the package and then are using it in weird and
> > strange ways instead of the straight forward way?
>

> As far as UID and locations, they are all as established by the
> Mixmaster .deb package. The package places the remailer.conf in
> /etc/mixmaster and runs mixmaster as a system daemon rather than an
> user process. I am using the default installation as I have been
> unable to get the source code to compile correctly (dependancy
> issues).

The .deb will not create a mixmaster user with uidnumber 1012 and home
directory /home/mixmaster.  That must have been your doing.

> I am using procmail because it was the only way I have so far
> successfully got the email piped to Mixmaster.

That'd probably be because your user setup is all weird and wasn't made
by the package.

> The system I am installing on runs Ubuntu Server 10.04LTS,
> Directadmin, Exim4, Dovecot and I expect that combination has made it
> a little idiosyncratic.
>
> The good news is, its at least working now.

Is it?  If it isn't, I'd have suggested throwing it all out and starting
with a clean system.

Aloha,