[Remops] Configuring mixmaster -incoming mail

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Wed May 2 20:37:15 BST 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 10:38:26AM -0700, CDN Freelancer wrote:
> I am in the process of configuring a Mixmaster remailer and I seem to
> be stuck on getting the remailer to pick up mail.
>
> Ubuntu Server 10.04LTS
> Exim4
> Dovecot2
>
> I am trying to use Maildir but there is no evidence that Mixmaster is
> scanning or picking up email. No errors in the log.

Hi Ken,

You problem is that Mixmaster doesn't pick up mail in the manner you're
expecting.  You need to pipe messages to it, either using a .forward
file or better, Procmail.  Below is the Procmail recipe I use:-
$ cat ~/.procmailrc

SHELL=/bin/bash
PMDIR=$HOME/procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/pmlog
VERBOSE=no
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

:0
| /home/mix/Mix/mixmaster -RM

You'll need to adjust the path to mixmaster to match your installation.
For initial testing, you probably want to create the ~/procmail
directory so that Procmail can log events, such as errors and incoming
message processing.  After that, turn it off my remarking the LOGFILE
statement.