[Remops] mixmaster over Tor?

Steve Crook steve at mixmin.net
Sat Dec 29 18:06:32 GMT 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 10:28:39PM +0000, adrelanos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I new to mixmaster and I am trying to use the mixmaster network while
> connecting to the remailer through the Tor network.
>
> Did anyone ever have successfully used mixmaster through Tor? I haven't
> found any references.

Mixmaster uses smtp as its transport so the ideal solution is to Torify
an MTA.  I found instructions for Postfix at:
http://www.groovy.net/ww/2012/01/torfixbis

The advantage of this configuration is that you can send and receive
email making it feasible to run a Mixmaster remailer as a Tor hidden
service.

I've not tested this but it sounds sane enough.  If you want a server to
test against, snorky.mixmin.net has a .onion of gbhpq7eihle4btsn.onion.

Steve